Friday, May 29, 2009

Small Drawings Portfolio

Regarding the post below this one -- my old portfolios have suddenly appeared on Amazon, actually Amazon Marketplace, which is a bit different I suppose, but they show up on regular Amazon, so to all intents & purposes it's the same. The reason they've just shown up on Amazon, I think, is that Lulu.com (owned by Amazon, the last I heard) has put many of their publications there. Lulu is the on-demand printer I used to publish my portfolios.

I've just been leafing through the Small Drawings portfolio. I hadn't looked at these for a while, as I released this and the other 2 (Ayton Volume I & the War Room portfolio) around 2006 without much fanfare. There are some interesting pieces in them, that I had more or less forgotten about. Here is the cover of the Small Drawings book with a few samples of obscure pieces. Enjoy.


The front cover. The drawing on the cover is Minotaur Squared, 2002, brush & ink on paper, 9" x 6.8". This drawing is also on page 54.


Ball of Souls, 2002, 9" x 7", ink on paper. On page 5.


Coiled, 2002, 11.5" x 8.25", brush & ink on paper. Page 17.


Figure in an Egg, 1992, ink on paper, 5.8" x 4.2". Page 25.


Figure with Missing Arm, 1998, ink on paper, 4.5" x 3.25". Page 55.


The Swan-necked Swan, 1992, ink on paper, 8.5" x 6.75". Page 72.

Most of the pictures in the portfolio have not been published before, either in books or magazines or web sites, etc. A few have. Looking back, it's an interesting selection of oddities, as well as more mainstream pieces, some of which were developed into paintings or other drawings, or, in some cases, should have been or might still be yet. Also interestingly, they tend to be clustered around certain years when I was more likely than not to pick up a brush or pen & small scrap of paper & put something down. At other times, I was more focused on large drawings or paintings.

The book has 78 pages in it, & there are 77 drawings & not much text.

I should at some point put together a volume 2 of this. No rush.

Handy links:

See my books on Amazon
See my books on Lulu

No comments: