Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Listening to Night Whistles by Tina Hacker

My 2005 pencil study "The Train" which was done for my Holocaust series is now on the cover of Tina Hacker's poetry collection, Listening to Night Whistles, published by Aldrich Press. The drawing had to be darkened & reformatted to work on the cover, as the original drawing was done for the wing of a proposed triptych. I think it works surprisingly well, as the enhanced image reveals all kinds of markmaking in the drawing that I hadn't really noticed before.

I only received my copies of the books yesterday, after a long drive back from a long weekend in Toronto, so I haven't had a chance to actually read the book, though at first glance (& from reading several of Tina's poems beforehand) it seems a very resonant and finely crafted piece.

Links:
The book page on Amazon
Aldrich Press web site
The original drawing

No comments: